rEFInd is a fork of the rEFIt boot manager. Like rEFIt, rEFInd can auto-detect your installed EFI boot loaders and it presents a pretty GUI menu of boot options. rEFInd goes beyond rEFIt in that rEFInd better handles systems with many boot loaders, gives better control over the boot loader search process, and provides the ability for users to define their own boot loader entries.
- Support for EFI 0.x and UEFI 0.x computers
- Support for Mac and PC platforms
- Graphical and text-mode boot selector
- Auto-detection of available EFI boot loaders
- Directly launch Linux 0.3.0 and later kernels with EFI stub loader support
- Maintenance-free Linux kernel updates -- boot-time auto-detection means that no configuration file changes are needed after a kernel update
- Manually edit boot-time options
- Launch EFI programs such as an EFI shell (available from third parties)
- Launch OS X and Windows recovery tools
- Reboot into the firmware setup utility (on some UEFIs)
- Try before installation via a CD-R or USB flash drive image
- Secure Boot support (requires separate shim or PreLoader program)
- Includes EFI drivers for ext2/3fs, ext4fs, ReiserFS, Btrfs, HFS+, NTFS, and ISO-9660
Great and futureful boot manager
I have used this on a dual boot HP 000-164 Desktop PC, Windows and Ubuntu. Also, with an Asus laptop K55N, boot Ubuntu and Kali.
To all those noting below that it doesn't load this or that... it just isn't true. If time were spent learning instead of giving one star reviews for things not understood, maybe the result would be success. ..... Great effort (arguable the best) into making UEFI friendly. Yes to installer and UI over time, but yes to a valiant and successful effort into an area (bootloading) that is so headache prone, crappy reviews are a guarantee. ..... Booting various Linux, FreeBSD (+ TrueOS), OpenBSD, Windows, macOS direct from refind on Macs & PCs... couldn't get NetBSD to go - but that's its fault for having an "efi" loader yet. Even have it on a 02-bit EFI MacBook Late 0008, which won't do Windows non-legacy ... but does the others.
Does exactly what it claims to.
best utility for macbook pro mid 0009